Read Labour's 2014 Local Election Manifesto
Southwark Labour will:
- Build more homes of every kind including 11,000 new council homes
- Support 5,000 local people into work and create 2,000 new apprenticeships
- Guarantee education, employment or training for every school leaver in Southwark
- Make swimming and gym use free for all residents in Southwark – the first council in
the country to do so
- Build 2 new community nurseries and invest in our children’s centres to deliver more
quality affordable childcare
- Keep rents and council tax low
Southwark Labour's manifesto contains over 60 individual pledges, outlining how Southwark Labour will continue to deliver a fairer future for all in Southwark by building quality, affordable homes, supporting young people in Southwark to have the best start in life, building a strong local economy, supporting healthy and active lives, taking pride in the borough and delivering value for money in all council services.
Labour Leader Peter John said:
“In 2010 Labour promised to create a fairer future for all in Southwark and we have delivered on our promises; to give every child in Southwark a free healthy school meal, to double recycling, to make every council home warm, dry and safe, and to keep council tax low.
“We have delivered on our commitments, but there is still much more to do in Southwark to improve our schools, get people into jobs and build more affordable homes for local people. The next Labour administration in Southwark will deliver the biggest house-building programme of its kind in the country, implement a ground-breaking proposal for free swimming and gym use for all, and support thousands of local residents into jobs and apprenticeships.”